Canal & River Trust Area Planner for Spatial Planning
Canal & River Trust is looking for a qualified and experienced town planner that can make a significant contribution in helping to protect and enhance the waterways and realise the multiple benefits that they have for the social, environmental and economic well-being of communities and helping to influence the development of waterside places in London. Canal & River Trust is a charity entrusted with the care of over 2000 miles of canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs in England and Wales. These historic, natural and cultural assets are an important part of the green infrastructure network, linking urban and rural communities as well as habitats.
The waterways contribute to the health and well-being of local communities and economies, creating attractive and connected places to live, work, volunteer and spend leisure time. In London, several waterway corridors are the focus for economic and housing growth, regeneration and renewal. The diverse nature of the Trust’s assets, our activities, users and stakeholders present unique opportunities for planners. As a Statutory Consultee, the Spatial Planning Team has an excellent track record in maintaining a consistently high level of performance as statutory consultee.
Canal & River Trust Area Planner Responsibilities
– Managing a diverse and high volume statutory consultee development management workload and planning policy work.
– Working with specialists in the Trust, your role will include ensuring that proposed developments do not adversely affect the structural integrity of the waterway, the safety of its users or its heritage and environmental value.
– By securing improvements and promoting good design principles, you will encourage greater use of our waterways and towpath.
– With a focus on customer service, you will engage with a number of Local Planning Authorities, Parish Councils/Neighbourhood Forums, interested parties and communities, along with a lot of specialists and business areas within the Trust.
– You may also be expected to respond to Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects and represent the Trust in the appeal and local plan examination processes, including acting as an expert witness at public inquiries.
– A qualified planning professional with significant experience in the development management process and enthusiasm to work in a highly diverse and increasingly customer-focused organisation. Some experience of planning policy matters would also be preferred.
– You will have experience in the use of GIS and the ability to travel across your geographical area of responsibility.
– The town planner will be based in Little Venice, London and is offered on a 13-month fixed term contract to cover maternity leave.
How to apply: When you join the Canal & River Trust you become a member of an engaged team working to keep our heritage for future generations. Come and put your skills to use on our waterways. Interested and qualified candidates should visit the application website for more detailed information.